Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ah, Fall (Good old random Off topicness)

I seriously love this time of year. Living in Texas for six years, I really missed the simple things like trees changing color and them falling to the ground. A friend of mine that lives in Texas went to Pennsylvania this pass week to check out a school (I think, Lol) and it was the first time she had seen fall.

Anyway, with fall means Halloween, my birthday (this Tuesday...gifts are accepted, as well as cash), Thanksgiving, my sister's birthday, and then of course Christmas.

I don't really have any big plans for Halloween. My college is 7-1 and if we win Saturday's game we're absolutely going to Playoffs (although we're pretty much a shoo in anyway). I think I'm going to go to the first half of the game (good thing about going to a really small school is students get in for free unlike at the bigger universities...well... at least Texas A&M I know they have to pay), and then leaving to go to my dad's house. This will be the first time in 7 years that I will have a chance to pass out candy. I live in a very small apartment that's in a basement with a door code. No trick or treaters are coming HERE, so I'm going to dad's house which is four blocks away. That's it... but we did get a LOT of candy, so there should be plenty left over!

Anyway, tonight I went up to the school and they were having a haunted tour of the campus. I go to McKendree University, which is the oldest school in the state of Illinois having been founded in 1828. There are a ton of ghost stories that float around, some I don't know if they're legit or not, but with a school that's over 180 years old some are bound to pop up. (It was named the most haunted place in the Metro East)

For instance: Bothwell Chapel was built in 1858. I was looking around on the internet to see if there's any ghost stories, and I stumbled upon an article that said that the bell in the bell tower is from 8th century Spain. (FOR REAL?) There's a story that's actually in the McKendree Archives, that when black students first attended here, one went up to the Bell Tower (I'm not sure why) and he was struck by lightning and died. There's also the crazy stories from Eisenmayer which used to be the old theatre and music building. It still has practice rooms, and music majors like myself go there late at night to practice, and there have been crazy stories about music coming from practice rooms where there's noone in there, ghostly apparitions and footsteps in the hallway. I haven't been there late at night yet, but you can bet I'm going to do so soon!

I guess I have a bit of Dawn Schafer in me.


Has anyone had any ghostly encounters? Any big plans for Halloween?

2 comments:

nikki said...

Happy Birthday!

Haunted colleges are awesome. My husband got his Master's at Ohio University, so we spent two years living in Athens, OH, which supposedly is the 13th most haunted town in the world. The University had purchased the former "Southeastern Ohio Lunatic Asylum," (now called The Ridges)and my husband worked in one of the supposedly haunted offices - where his office window did open and close and unlock on its own. Super creepy.

Seriously, my captcha is undistant. Totally a Mallory word!

Emily said...

I'm a sucker for a good ghost story....